About OJO | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Author Instructions | Reviewer Guidelines | Online submissionLogin 
Oman Journal of Ophthalmology Oman Journal of Ophthalmology
  Editorial Board | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact
https://www.omanophthalmicsociety.org/ Users Online: 347  Wide layoutNarrow layoutFull screen layout Home Print this page  Email this page Small font size Default font size Increase font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 167-172

Retinopathy of prematurity like retinopathy in full-term infants


1 Department of Vitreoretinal Diseases, Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, 18, College Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
2 Department of Vitreoretinal Surgery and Diabetic Eye Diseases, National Ophthalmology Centre Named after Zarifa Aliyeva, Baku, AZ1114, Azerbaijan
3 Vitreo-Retinal Consultant, C.L. Gupta Eye Institute, Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
Dhanashree Ratra
Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, No. 18, College Road, Chennai - 600 006, Tamil Nadu
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ojo.OJO_141_2016

Rights and Permissions

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study is to assess clinical characteristics, risk factors, and management outcomes of retinal changes similar to retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), seen in full-term infants. PATIENTS AND METHODS: This is a retrospective review of 46 eyes of 23 patients, born at full term or near full term and diagnosed to have active ROP-like retinopathy or sequelae of ROP-like retinopathy. RESULTS: Mean birth weight (BW) and gestational age (GA) were 2342 ± 923 g (range, 1200–4160 g) and 38.5 ± 1.85 weeks (range, 37–40 weeks). Mean age at the time of diagnosis was 3.5 ± 8.75 years (range, 1 month–16 years). Stage 1 and 2 of retinopathy was seen in 10 eyes (21.7%), threshold disease with plus disease in 12 eyes (26%) and Stage 4 or 5 in 14 eyes (30.4%). Involutional sequelae were noted in 10 eyes (21.7%). Twenty-one eyes (45.6%) underwent appropriate treatment in the form of laser, cryotherapy, or retinal detachment surgery. Eight eyes (17.4%) with advanced sequelae such as total closed funnel retinal detachment and macular fold were not treated. Mean follow-up was 3 years (range, 1 month to 12 years). At the last follow-up, 29 eyes (63%) had a favorable structural outcome (P < 0.001). Among the patients in whom visual acuity could be assessed (16 eyes), favorable visual outcome was noted in 9 eyes (56.2%). Low BW (P = 0.038), multiple births (P = 0.013), respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) (P = 0.001), phototherapy (P = 0.001), and oxygen administration (P < 0.001) were significantly associated with the development of ROP-like retinopathy in these full-term infants. CONCLUSIONS: ROP-like retinopathy can occur in full-term and near full-term infants and can potentially lead to permanent visual impairment. Screening of infants with risk factors such as oxygen administration, RDS, multiple births, and low BW, regardless of GA, may reduce visual impairment.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1369    
    Printed14    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded105    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal